Monday, September 10, 2012

Love the one you're with



A girl I met studying in Ireland told me that she didn’t want to travel anywhere else but within her country during her semester abroad. I was dumbfounded – I couldn’t imagine not taking advantage of the opportunity to explore Europe as much as possible.

Upon discussing it with my Bus2alps roommates, however, who are all extensively well traveled and have all had their own European adventures, Grace said, “Well, technically that is the way you’re supposed to do it. Really just stay in one new place and get to know it the best you can.”

I in no way have any regrets about my study abroad experience, but Grace and this student have a point. I was so excited to be in Europe that when I studied in Paris, I was barely in Paris. I went to so many places on the weekends that by the end of the semester, I scarcely knew the city I was living in. My program offered day trips throughout France as well, but I only went on one of the two I was allowed to go on and didn’t even think to try and explore within the same country. It wasn’t until this summer that I saw the south of France – which is an entirely different place and absolutely amazing. I am obsessed with every inch of the French Riviera and cannot wait until I get the chance to explore Auvergne.

This is why if I could do it over again, I would take advantage of the Bus2alps day trips as much as possible. The day trips that we have leaving out of Barcelona are IN-CRED-IBLE, and I really can’t justify not going on them. I know this might seem like a shameless plug, but our trip to Montserrat & Cava tasting is probably going to be my favorite day this semester. I’m also counting down the days until our trip to Southern Spain – Barcelona is so different from the rest of the country, and the chance to experience that difference is an opportunity I refuse to let pass by.

This is not to say don’t go to the rest of Europe. Do. Go everywhere. Go to Prague and Croatia and Paris and Morocco. Fall in love with every city that you can. Just remember that you are here to live here too, and some of the best travels can be found just half an hour outside of your door.  

No comments:

Post a Comment