Tuesday, October 23, 2012

In Defense of Thanksgiving

I have heard rumors that we may or may not be considering going out to eat for Thanksgiving dinner, and I am writing to implore you to reconsider.

After spending the majority of the past six months abroad and away from everything that is good and American, I have been counting down the days to Thanksgiving. The stuffing, the turkey, the gravy, the mashed potatoes, anything pumpkin, I'd love some nice roasted green beans with slivered almonds maybe...I digress. More importantly, I have been looking forward to the quality time spent with the fam and friends. The camaraderie as we all work together to accomplish one of the most delicious meals of the year. The high fives after the turkey is not burnt or still squawking. The football game on the tv in the background. The Cohn vs. Faxon touch football game that I have been meaning to tell you is occurring.

Now, I realize that with all of these feelings of warmth and tenderness can also come a lot of stress regarding the timing, the food, the cleaning, etc. And I know that as parents you get sick of cooking every day and would love to take a night off to enjoy everything yourself. So I have a solution. I'll do it. Everything. I'll make a menu and get approvals from everyone. I will do the shopping, the prep work, the table setting, the turkey basting, the pumpkin carving, the potato smashing. I've been wanting to make my own turkey for a while now, and I already have an Herb-Butter Turkey Recipe from Tom Colicchio picked out.

I will even clean. I will spend the hours or so making sure that each square millimeter of crystal is shiny and sparkling. I will make sure that the silverware is polished and back in the box, that the trash is taken out, and that the only scent remaining in the kitchen is that of lemon and thyme from the organic cleaning products that we know and love.

Your day will be absolutely stress free. I'll even schedule in some hors d'oeuvres so that you don't get too hungry, and maybe I'll employ Charlotte and Syd to pass. The wine will flow like the beer in Prague, the cheese will reek of France, and any other little European touches I've picked up can get thrown in as well.

Please just give me the go ahead, and I promise Bon Appetit will come alive in your kitchen. This would mean the world to me, and would make all of my dreams come true.

Awaiting your decision with baited breath and a growling stomach.

Best Regards,

Mel Faxon

No comments:

Post a Comment