Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Old Major


Oh hey there, world. It’s been a while. A lot has changed since my last post, and yet nothing has. I still like eating the most, I’m just doing it out in Denver now.

I’ve been to a surprising amount of restaurants in the city so far considering I’ve only been here for three weeks. I’ve enjoyed most of them - a place called Humboldt is wonderful, Euclid Hall is everything you could want in a sausage, and we crashed Linger’s industry night one Monday and couldn’t have been luckier.  However, Monday night’s meal at Old Major was the closest I’ve come to feeling “home” since I’ve been out here.

Having the privilege to work at Tony Maw’s masterpiece, Craigie on Main, was one of the most humbling, difficult, and developmental experiences I’ve had in a workplace.  Physically and mentally, it was the most challenging position I’ve held to date, and I wouldn’t trade a minute of it. I respect the men and women who are still there immensely, and will continue to send everyone I know in that direction.

Tangent aside, the point is that Old Major is the first place that I’ve been out in Denver that reminds me of the Craigie mentality and lifestyle. Even the websites and pig logos are similar. These places have a profound respect for food, and it shows in everything they do.  Old Major’s “seafood, swine, and wine” mantra translates into spectacular squid with sundried tomatoes and sausage, a venison tartare with brioche and a poached egg that actually made me flush with pleasure, and pork-fat French fries. Yeah, you heard me.

I have a feeling that I will be back there often, especially when I’m missing my fine friends way out in Cambridge, MA. And I know that when they come to visit, this is the first place we’ll go.

Old Major is located at 3316 Tejon St, Denver, CO 80211.


No comments:

Post a Comment